Monday, June 16, 2008

Potty Training?


So. The title says it all. It has been quite the battle with our little Nathan when it comes to potty training. Several months ago I tried the whole "stay in the bathroom for hours on end and load him full of sugary drinks until he pees" thing. It didnt work. I stayed in that bathroom for four and a half hours with him and the minute I gave up he went to the family room and peed on the carpet. Tears you ask? Yes, many. A lot of frustration has ensued since I have dabbled in potty training Nathan. Anyone who gave advice would say, it will click. He's just not ready. So, I put it on a hiatus. Then this morning rolled around...

I woke up and decided - today was the day. No more diapers! Just imagine the disgust on my face as I changed a four and a half year olds poopy diaper and you will understand why I am completely fed - up with the situation. So, I brought out underwear and Nathan was adament about not wearing them, no matter how cool he thinks Lightning McQueen is. He told me "Put away - diaper please." At that moment I realized that he has been playing me for a fool. He was just being lazy and he knew exactly how to pull on my strings. Well, I have finally seen the game hes been playing.
Solution - go naked, just no diapers. We were both satisfied with the arrangement. This occurred around 6:30 a.m. Chad is out the door at 7:15 and I went outside to say goodbye. When I came back in I saw a naked flash running down the hallway in the direction of the bathroom. I shouted out "Do you need to go potty?" As if I was going to make any difference with asking. He went straight to the toilet, purched up and peed. Holy Cow, you have got to be kidding me. After the months and months of having him sit or stand at the toilet, the running water trick, squirt guns, you name it I've tried it, to get him to pee he just all of a sudden did it. It was as if he was saying "Alright already if this is what you want me to do then I'll do it, sheesh whats the big deal."

Two small accidents, several pee visits and two poop visits on the potty later... he's doing great. I guess there is no going back now. He still wont wear underwear; one step at a time. Naked works at home, but we're going to have to figure out this public thing.
I can safely say that this is one of the best days I've had in a while. Is that a little sad or just a mom that is sick of changing diapers? Definitely, both.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Congrats! A 4 year old's diapers?? I bow down to you!

Kasey said...

Way to go Nathan!

What a little stinker though. Playing you for a fool...We need to give these kids more credit. They are so stinking smart!

Hopefully the undies thing will work out. No one else needs to see Naked Nathan. =)

abigail said...

Yay Nathan! I am so happy and excited for you Emily! I swear that kid is so funny! I love him to death!!! I need to come hang out with him some more! I miss him!

Anonymous said...

I feel so good for you already! Don't you just feel this sense of relief that he caught on and joy that he is growing up?! Way to go, Em. I truly admire your ability to parent a child of autism!

Clint said...

Congratulations! That's great! Ya, Hayley's with Nathan on the diaper/underwear thing. She doesn't like her diaper at all. I thinks she likes the breeze. :) Anyway, I look forward to someday being rid of diapers. I still can't bear to feed the girl peas.

Clint said...

Ah, that last comment was from me (Linsey). It always says "Clint" for some reason. :)