Saturday, January 19, 2008

Totally Extreme

Today is the "Extreme Pinewood Derby" for the men in the Hampton ward. After much smack talk, and a few designs that failed, I have finished my entry for the competition. There were only 2 rules for this event. 1. Nothing that combusts. (model rocket engines and gas powered motors) 2. No contents under pressure. (gas, liquids, etc)

I was lucky to find an old remote control airplane that I could tear apart to use the electric motor and propeller. This was the most important part since the car weighs next to nothing. Wind resistance is not an issue at such low speeds. I only have one concern. I need the car to not jump the track. If it does that I am sure it will break in a million pieces. Right now it is held together with epoxy.

When the gate at the starting line is raised I will hit the "gas" on the controller in my hand and hopefully speed down the track to victory. I think there will be a few extra heavy cars there that will try and take advantage of the initial downhill of the track. We will see how that works.

I will post pictures tomorrow of the event and some video of the races.

1 comment:

Aaron Harmon said...

Have you taken it off any sweet jumps?