Friday, December 5, 2008


So, I have been doing through one of those mommy slumps. I cant seem to get out of it. I just feel like everything I do is not enough, and at the end of the day I still have piles of laundry to fold. This morning I did something that made myself feel a little better as a mom.

I dropped Caitlyn off at school, kisses were blown and we exchanged I love yous. I always wait a few minutes just to make sure she made it over to her class okay, but this day something different happened. Caitlyn came running back to the car with a very distressed look on her face. I rolled down the window and she remined me that today she was supposed to wear a Santa hat for the Reindeer Run. Let me just preface my "disappointed in myself feeling" at this moment. On Wednesday I forgot to take her to gymnastics which was met with a bucket full of disappointed tears, and yesterday I completely spaced taking Nathan to his OT appointment. (I seriously dont know where my mind has been).

Back to the story... not knowing what to do at that exact moment to fix the situation I told her to run over and ask her teacher if she had an extra hat. While she was on her way over I looked at the other kids. Not many were wearing hats so I thought to myself -"is it really that big of a deal?" When she got to her teacher I could see her shake her head no and then wisk the class into their room while holding Caitlyns hand.

I knew she was disappointed.

I was on my way to the gym and kept debating with myself what to do. With thoughts like "this is something she'll remember you doing for her.." against "It's a hat, not a big deal!" Well, my better half won. I quickly turned around and made my way to Target to look for a Santa hat. NO SANTA HATS AT TARGET ~just in case you were going to go there looking for one. I got back into the car and a few more discouraging thoughts entered my head like "get to the gym before you change your mind about going." Then I said a little prayer. I knew we had a hat at home, but wear it was is your best guess. I said a prayer that it would be easy to find. When I got home it was sitting as plain as day on top of all the toys in the playroom. I hurried back over to her school and delivered it to her classroom. She was so excited to be one of the few to have her hat that day.

At least for this morning I saved the day. Im sure we will have a few run ins after school - which happens often with such a strong-headed little girl, but I hope she will remember the time her mom went back for her Santa hat.

3 comments:

Shumway Family said...

I'm always shocked at what my kids remember from when they were little. I'm sure the santa hat story will be one of her favorite. You are an awesome mom!!

annalee

Kasey said...

You are such a good mom Emily! I space things all the time! What's going on? Therer are just too many things going on and not enough time for sure. Soemtimes I wonder how my children ever got fed. Atleast they are old enough to grab a sleeve of crackers and fend for themselves! Hope things get better.

Wendy said...

Even if Caitlyn doesn't remember that day, you always will and I think I always will, too. Next time I'm faced with a choice like that I will remember what you did.

I'm so glad to know that other people go through those slumps like I do. As much as I'd like to be in control of my days, there are those times when I realize that I am not. I think in a way it's good for me.