Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Birthday celebration continues

On Monday night we have another party for Nathan. We went to Golfland. They give you a free round of golf - for up to 8 kids - a couple pitchers of soda, all the paper supplies and 45 minutes in the upstairs arcade. Its totally free! Thanks for the tip on that one Becky! You cant bring in your own food, but you can bring in a cake. I made a really cool rainbow cake. I saw this on a blog called Food for Thought and I thought it would be fun to try... and it was! Everbody loved it so I am passing on the tutorial to you.
How to make a Rainbow Cake:

Divide your white cake batter into 6 bowls equally.

Add color. I used food coloring on all the colors except purple. Purple always turns out kind of gray when using food coloring so I used the Wilton color. If you used the Wilton colors for all of them you would definitely have a more vibrant rainbow. I just wasnt in the mood to spend more money.

Then layer the colors in your pans. Pour the colors directly into the middle of the pan and then spread them out. It will look thicker in the middle but when it cooks it seems to work out. Because the red and purple looked so thin I dug a little of a well in the middle before adding the second color. I think it helped with the outside layer.


Bake as directed.
Frost as wanted :)



This is how it looks when you cut into it. I wish I could figure out how to make it actually look like a rainbow inside... you know all the colors in order, but it still looks neat. I think you would have to pour all six colors in each pan and I am just not up for that!

P.S. Thanks for all the thoughts and comments on the last post. Changes are underway and we will share later!

3 comments:

runningfan said...

I'm glad to have the tip on Golfland - what fun! We've had that rainbow cake before. Delicious!

Kasey said...

Love the cake! I'm going to have to try it.

Jess said...

Thank you so much for contacting me! What a crazy thing that happened! That is Heidi Vance(she said she knows you)and Tyler is my brother, and I took the address off of a package that you must have sent to us from 'unlikelyletters'! Their address is 2505 E Lehi Rd.#15 Mesa, AZ 85213. I am sorry for the mix up and thank you again for being so honest!