Friday, March 26, 2010

What do you do?

What do you do when your seven year old daughter doesnt make her bed for the one thousandth time? We've talked about this all year long. Some morning are better than others, butI have made a conscious effort for the last three mornings to drill into her the importance of doing this morning ritual. SHE IS OLD ENOUGH TO DO THIS WITHOUT REMINDERS AND IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!

Any advice?

Right now I am thinking- strip the bed and she sleeps with nothing tonight. Too cruel? I also thought about going to her school, taking her out of class, and bringing her back home to do so. If I had enough energy I would do that - but lets be honest that solution is harder on me than her.

5 comments:

runningfan said...

It's a habit that takes time to develop. We have checklists for the boys with really basic stuff -- get dressed, brush teeth, make bed, etc. -- for morning, after school, and evening. They have to work through the items on the list before they can do anything optional. Going to school isn't optional, but playtime after school is. I've had to decide whether having the kids' beds made in the morning is more important than making them do it themselves. I think they need to learn to do the work. I'm content to wait.

Jessie Geroux said...

I dont know that I agree that a 7 year old is "old enough to remember to do it without reminders"

We all need reminders for things that simply aren't "important to us" heck I even need reminders to things that are important to me--this could be me and my passive expectations but if my kids do something with just one reminder (maybe even not a "full" reminder but a "clue reminder" such as "check your list please, or make sure you haven't forgotten anything" and they have done it with a stellar attitude that means so much more to me then if I didn't remind them and they did it reluctantly and with a bad attitude.

Also dont forget the power of cheerleading those surprising moments when she does come through and do it on her own..making a huge stink about those times rather then a huge stink about the times she forgets..will undoubtedly have a bigger impact--those are just my ideas ;-)

O'Loughlin Family said...

good comment Jessie - and Heidi. I think a list is a good idea. That way, she will have the reminder, but without me having to say it everyday.

Becky said...

Definitely go with the morning checklist for her. Caitlyn is a very visual girl. Bust out that laminator and get going! You're right by using the checklist as the "reminder" and not you nagging her - Love and Logic told me so.:)

Maren said...

If it were my mom, she'd do the school thing. I was the victim on more than one occasion. I like the checklist idea too.