Thursday, November 4, 2010

Grrrr......


I despise school fundraisers (except for the cookie dough one because I buy from that one). I hate that they give an assembly to the children and show them all of the "prizes" they could win. "If you can sell 50 items you'll with this paper airplane" Oooh, Ahhhh.

Its lame.


Its also lame that Caitlyn is totally taken in by these tactics. She is my infomerical child. On a regular basis she brings me phone numbers that she has written down and tell me that we need to buy that item. Our latest and greatest was the Shoes Under. This was just one that wouldnt go away. She kept asking and pleading for it. She would convince us that this item would change her world!
So, we used it to our advantage. A long standing problem in our house is random shoes strewn around the house.... see where this is going? Chad challenged Caitlyn to not have a pair of shoes left out for two weeks, then we would buy her a Shoes Under. She accepted the challenge, and wouldnt you know it? We didnt see any of her shoes for two weeks. She is capable of cleaning up her shoes!
Here are the ultimate results: She got the Shoes Under and her shoes can still be found all around the house.
Awesome.

3 comments:

The Wizzle said...

That sounds so much like Devlin! We have regular talks about advertising and the goals of the people who are in it (ie, to get you to buy something!) I feel your pain. I'm really starting to think that no matter what I do or say, there are some problems that I'm just never going to see a satisfactory resolution to until my children are grown up. And maybe not then either.

Mikelle said...

All of the commercials here in OR are paid programming infomercials. Seriously there are NO regular commercials really. It's weird. Hannah & Cade want to buy everything on TV. It IS REALLY ANNOYING! Hannah will come tell me the same things Caitlyn does. So funny! When we moved we decided to not hook up the cable and we don't miss it. We just watch a lot of movies. If Jake or I really want to see a sitcom, we watch it on the computer or rent the seasons from the library. I love not having to watch the infomercials any more! Your story made me laugh, thanks for sharing!

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

That is hilarious. I just love the way you retold the whole story, haha.