Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Autism and Immunizations

A few months ago our family had the opportunity to participate in 2 autism fundraiser events. Yesterday I received the appreciation gift for raising money for this cause. This morning I came across an article on MSNBC.COM concerning something that I have always believed. A large study in England of normal, developmentally challenged, and autistic children has again discredited the findings of Dr. Andrew Wakefiled. (see article here)

You may not have ever heard his name before, but he is the person that suggested that the MMR vaccine is what is causing autism in children. More specificly the mercury based preservative in the vaccine. If you take the time to google MMR and Autism, you will certainly find an overwhelming amount of opinions that are based on non-scientific information. However, with all of the recent testing and research in this matter, it is now widely accepted that the MMR vaccine is not the cause.

Having a child with autism, I am dying to know the cause. I would love to know how it happened because then it might be fixed. I am also very nervous to have another child since the probability increases after there has been one autitistic child in the family. (see article here) I switch back and forth on my opinion of more children. I would have another, but I have to be responsible in that decision. It is all very hard to work through in my mind. Nathan is a joy to have in our family. He could not make us any happier. I do wonder, almost constantly, what is going on in his little head. I am not sure that I could bare another child that I could not communicate with.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure this is a stuggle of many parents. I, too, would like to know the cause of such developmental diseases like autism and adhd. I think it's important to continually educate yourself and then you can have satisfaction that you are doing all you can do to fight the disease!

Kasey said...

I did steal that birthday picture idea from. It's a good one.
Emily, I understand where you are coming from. I think that Nathan was sent to you guys for a reason. He is the sweetest little guy I know and you're so lucky to have him! We may not know all the reasons why one child has the struggles that they do. But HF knows why and there is an eternal reason. My struggles with having another baby are differant, but I understand that too. If another is waiting for you you'll know, if not 2 is great! You multiplied, you replinished. It's all good! Have fun on your trip! I'm excited to see pictures!

The Wizzle said...

Boy, I sure would like to know the answer to this too. I had heard about this study, and it seems that this "link" is being shot to pieces pretty effectively.

I didn't realize Nathan was autistic. Devlin has a couple of little friends at church who are autistic and I pray for the day when they, and their parents, and you and Nathan, get some answers and some real hope.

Briann said...

Wow Emily, I didn't know your little boy has autism. My mom worked at Keller Elementary with autistic kids as well as mentally and severly handicapped and i know it'a struggle, but they are so lovable and you are being blessed. Nathan is such a special spirit. My friend at work thinks her little boy is autistic, but it's so hard to diagnose that they aren't sure yet. Keep fighting for the cause and you will get answers one day! YOur a GREAT Mom!