Sunday, March 8, 2009

If you like cats then we cant be friends

I hate cats. Chad hates cats. Its something that we have in common.

Let me explain.

I appreciate other people's cats and that these people love them. Thats great. I would never own one of my own. Ever. And that's okay, but why, I ask, am I responsible for cleaning up after them in my yard. We have neighborhood cats that have taken up litter boxes in our yard, particularly close to our front door in our rocks. There always seems to be a new present awaiting. It is quite irritating, but it has escalated to a whole new level.

Chad and I recently poured some blood, sweat and tears into preparing a garden in our backyard. A daily ritual of ours is to go outside and see how things are progressing; it's going well, I might add. EXCEPT the stupid cats in our neighborhood have made it their mission to not allow our green onions to grow. As soon as I see a promising sprout it is gone by morning. Ripped away by some thief on four feet, and they have left the paw prints behind as their calling card.

WHAT TO DO!? I swear, it is so aggrevating. If I wanted to deal with a cat I would get one of my own. I would never get a dog and then let him into the neighbors yard to run around. Why is this socially acceptable in the world of cats? I have a right to plant a garden and expect it to only be ravished by my kids - not by other people's pets.

So, what is the plan. The only ideas that we have come up with, and trust me these are both viable options, are:
A: shoot them with a BB gun. Ya know, pumped once just to give it a scare. Maybe then it will go back to its cat friends and tell them that the crazy people in that house are on the loose with a gun and they will back away.
B: gets some cat traps from the Animal Humane Society and ship 'em off. Seriously, I am that mean. I hope that the owners begin to miss their cats and wonder where they are. Then when they read the big sign in my front yard about "If you missing a cat in the neighborhood..." they might get a clue and keep their animals close to home. Of course I hope they would be reunited at the pound, but I cant lie, I would glory in the fact that they would have to go to the trouble of getting the cat back and experiencing a little grief about it.

Ok, so I am mean, or just at the end of my cat rope.

Any other suggestions?

6 comments:

Kasey said...

I'm thinking those are acceptable. Green onions are very important! I so hate cats too!

Wendy said...

I would like to join the I HATE CATS CLUB. We have a cat trap and you can borrow it if you'd like. You can ship them off to the desert where they can take a dump anywhere they want - until the coyote finds them.

Lanae said...

mean, your nice! im thinking anti-freeze, rat poison etc. seriously, my dad swears that if you pour bleach around your garden area, it will get rid of animals. worth a try maybe. good luck!
ps the humane society won't come pick them up unless they are really hurt, they said they are like birds, they just get to roam free. makes you feel very justified dealing with them as you will.

runningfan said...

Good luck on your cat eradication mission. I feel the same way about them...ick.

Becca said...

If you got a fence I say electrifing the top of it. Just put a little wire around the top of it and when the little paws touch it then zap. Problem solved!

Maren said...

You COULD get a dog. The other night we heard our dog barking and growling and a few seconds later the shrieking of a cat. Music to my ears.