Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Has this ever happened to you?

So, I'm in line at the grocery store. In front of me is a mom with her teenage son buying, what I later found out was, around 300 spiral bound notebooks for his Eagle Scout Project. I'm sitting there praying that they dont all have to be individually rung up. I would have gone to another line, but trust me, the prospects there didnt look any brighter. So, as I was waiting in line, the "20 items or less" lane right next to me was completely open with a checker that looked rather bored. She waved me over eventhough I exceeded the 20 item limit. I was a little hesitant because I am definitely the person that will give you a bad look if I am waiting behind you while your ring up your big order. You better believe I would be counting your items thinking "All I need to do is buy these two things!".

So - what do you do?

I let her ring me up, and of course right as she gets started a couple with only three items comes up behind an waits.... I wanted to share with all those around me, "Oh, dont worry, she told me to come here - I would never exceed the amount on my own" - but that would have just been foolish. So, I tried to hurry her along, but they must have put her there because she can only handle a few items. It seemed to take twice as long.

I left wondering if I should have just passed on her kind offer to help and stood in the "I have a lot of things" line.

Any opinions?

4 comments:

runningfan said...

Haha...take the break when you get it! You'll never see those people again anyway.

Kasey said...

Just let them wait! There have been times when someone behind me has less items, but come on. I've got kids, had a long day, came to the store because I had to so buddy behind me can wait his turn! That sounded a lot ruder than I thought it up in my head, but you get the point. Everyone deserves to be first in the 20 or item less line even if they have more than 20 items.

Clint said...

Have you seen how fast those grocery checkers are?! They truly amaze me! Even if you had 40 items, I bet you didn't add more than a minute a half to the couple's wait. And they probably needed some couple time anyway. :o) LINSEY

Sarah said...

It probably wasn't their pet peeve even if it's yours. Plus the belly you've got gives you a few more liberties than you usually would get. Enjoy!