Tuesday, October 13, 2009

October break

Does anyone else think that this "October Break" thing is more for the teachers to have a break than the kids.

I mean, come on! They got out of school at 11:45 last Friday, then they have the entire week off, then next week they are released everyday at 1:15. Yes, I know its for Parent - Teacher conferences, but when you smush that all together it just seems like overkill to me. I would much rather follow the California school systems' schedule - at least Sacramento's, where my sister lives. They dont have October Break but they do get the entire week off for Thanksgiving. Dont you think that makes much more sense?

Where's the petition?!

My kids, especially Caitlyn, ends up bored looking for things to do all week. I would rather her be learning in school, and I believe she would too.

Sidenote - I am a great mom who has arranged a couple play dates and MAY attempt the Zoo on Thursday. I am trying to provide some sort of entertainment. - enter applause here -

So what are your thoughts on October Break?

3 comments:

Kasey said...

Um, we have two weeks. Imagine how I feel! This week though has already started off better than last week. I did the zoo with Heather yesterday. It was a hit! A little warm, so take their suits. There is a splash pad my kids were dying to get into and I didn't bring suits. I didn't even know they had a splash pad! Good luck! Call me if you want to get together.

Heather said...

I agree with your suggestion that they should get a week off at Thanksgiving instead. Great one.

My kids both got sick just in the nick of time for October break.

Mikelle said...

wow, that's crazy...we don't get either. We have the 28 & 29th off for teacher conferences(not a whole week) and only the regular 2 days for thanksgiving(maybe it's three?)
A whole week is a long break for teacher conferences. That is kinda weird