Thursday, September 25, 2008

a little prick on the knee?


So - when I tell you to look at that little spot on my knee you probably think... "no big deal so you got pricked by a pin or something", right? (And I'm sure you think, "Dang, you need a tan" - but that is not what I am dwelling on right now.)


Well it is so much more than that. It is actually the entry point where the blunt end of a needle (with thread in it) entered my knee. (Did you pull back your gag reflex yet?)
Here's the story: I was crouched down pulling a blanket out of our closet. The blanket didnt give like I was expecting it to, so I fell forward and my knees went to the ground. When my left knee hit the ground I heard a really weird, odd, disturbing crunching sound. When I looked down at my knee I saw the needle protruding from it. "Okay, dont panic. Just pull it out" I told myself.
I pulled and tugged and it was totally stuck. I couldnt get a good grip on it and it was in far enough that I couldnt move because it had pinned my knee in place.
So I called for Chad (thank goodness he was home!) When he got there I said (very calmly I might add) "Go get some plyers and pull this needle out of my knee."
He ran to the garage and returned with some needle-nosed plyers and said"Okay, I'm going to do this really fast"
To which I replied "Just do it"
When it came out it became apparent that it was more than an inch in my knee. The crunching noise that I heard was most likely cartalidge or bone. I am too stubborn to go to the doctor to have it looked at. The wound just looks to sissy. This all happened Tuesday night. It really hurt yesterday, but today I woke up and it felt fine. I'm just going to watch it and if anything else happens then I will consult with my physician. I promise.
Anyway, I hope that this prepares you to go eat a lovely dinner!
Oh, after it came out Chad took it to the bathroom to further investigate it. When he was looking at it the needle broke - most likely from the stress put on it. I'm so lucky that it didnt break off in my knee!

1 comment:

Mikelle said...

I talked to your mom today and she told me the story! Yuck...I can't believe it. I'm glad Chad was there too, easier to have someone else inflict the pain. Plus walking to get the plyers would have been difficult I expect..and explaining to Caitlyn where to go find them...ya, I'm so glad Chad was there:)
I still worried about you though- I think you need a Tentnus shot, maybe call your doc's office and just ask a nurse if they think you need one.
I'm going out to Mom's tommorrow for the RS broadcast. Jake & Kids will probubly hang out w/ Dad. Wanna come along?(I'm sure your mom will call too:)