Monday, September 14, 2009

and four became five

Alison O'Loughlin
Saturday September 12, 2009
5:25 a.m.
8 lbs 6 oz
21 inches long
We were so happy to make it to September 12th instead of the 11th (for obvious reasons). We got to the hospital and started pitocin at 7:30 p.m. My doctor came into our room at 9 p.m. and said that he could break my water to get things rolling faster. I declined. This was one labor I was okay with having for an extra few hours.
I finally got my epidural at 12:30 and all was well. The worst part hit me around 3 in the morning. The epidural was working too well and my legs felt like 500 lbs of dead weight. I couldnt move or lift them with my arms. It was a weird feeling that I didnt remember from before. It made me anxious and clostrophobic. I just had to lay in bed and talk myself through it so I didnt freak out. By 4:15 a.m. I was fully dialated. My epidural was now working great. I could move my legs a bit and I could feel the contractions coming, but didnt have the pain.
The doctor got there about 5 a.m. and Alison was born at 5:25. In the process he said a few comments about her broad shoulders and how they were giving him problems. I was thinking "great- this is going to be a horrible recovery". Lets just say the me + labor
(she came out flapping her tongue around. She is definitely a contender for the longest tongue in our family)
dont always go well. Caitlyn and
Nathan both did a number on me. I had the worst... how do I put this lightly... I had the worst "war wound" you could have from normal delivery. It took me weeks to fully recover. After the doctors comments I thought I was doomed again. I was over the moon when he said that I had not torn and that I didnt need a stitch. I was shocked actually. Chad later informed me that he used tons of mineral oil during the process of the delivery. Thank you, Dr. Dowswell!


The hat I brought for her was too big, but still a pretty cute photo op.

Going home

Caitlyn was busting from the seams all weekend waiting to have her chance to see Alison. She got all dressed up to greet her when she got home.

Nathan said "hello" to her, posed for a picture and was off. He stops on occasion to acknowledge her.

Caitlyn immediately got to work. She picked out a flower to go in her hair and got her Tigger book to read to her. Funny thing is - Alison actually looked interested.

Okay - so if you have made it to the end of this monsterous post then you deserve to know how we decided on spelling Alison with one L.
Chad sold it to me for a hundred bucks.
Best money I ever spent.

19 comments:

The Cooper Crew said...

She is super cute Emily! Congratulations!

The Wizzle said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful, and that tongue is really very impressive! Your big kids look so happy to meet her.

runningfan said...

Congratulations on a healthy little girl (and a remarkable delivery)! I love the idea of selling a name...but glad we didn't think of that option when naming Lexi. Garry doesn't have enough money... :)

Becca said...

I remember "war wounds" not very fondly!! I had "war wounds" on top of war wounds and I didn't sit for 2 weeks with Justin @ 9lb 7oz..He sucked big time (no epidural) but Case was SOOO much better! It's amazing how no tearing or stitches can do for a girl!!

Alison is so dang cute!!! Caitlyn will be the best big sister ever!

Congrats!!

Wilm2RS said...

very adorable! love the new car seat! she's going to be a spoiled lil' lady...as if Caitlyn didn't steal Chad's heart bad enough?! Congrats, guys. Wish we were there to hold her in person. Here's to a quick recovery....

The Badger family said...

Congrats you guys!!!! I am so excited for you all. I will have to make a trip out to Mesa some time so I can see your little baby. Sorry we never got together before the bay came. Emily you let me know when you are feeling up to having company.
Tracy

Michelle said...

She is adorable!! Love the tongue picture!! Congrats. Looks like you will have one super big helper on your hands that is great. Let me know if you ever need me to pick her up from school to come and play.

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Congrats you two! What an adorable little girl. I like the spelling. Nick's sister is spelled with one L too! I love all the pictures you got of her. Alison seems so alert for a new born! What a cutie! Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

You guys are so funny! She is a real cutie and seems to be very alert for a newborn! Congrats.

Lanae said...

Can't believe how well everything went, considering your past stories! Congrats she is gorgeous, can't wait to meet her. Love, love, love her sweet name.

MaryBeth said...

Emily and Chad, she is absolutely adorable! Can't wait to head up to Phoenix again to hold her!

Katie said...

Yeah!! She is finally here! Congratulations! I was the exact same size and weight when I was born. Can't wait to meet her.

granny said...

What a beautiful baby! We are so happy for you and your little family. All our best to you.

Kasey said...

What a sweetie! She's a beauty. Let us know when we can stop by. I'll bring you food. Yummy food. I know it's not a hundred bucks, but it'll be great! I'll call you in a few. Congrats you guys!

Mikelle said...

Yay! Me & Hannah have been waiting anxiously for this post! She is beautiful! We LOVE the picture in her hat. One thing about an 8 lb baby, she already has cute O'loughlin/Standage features and some meat on her (you know how teeny babies-like mine- have that weird newborn look for while, not Alison!)
I'm also glad to be reminded that pregnancy ends one day and is definately worth it:)
Her carseat is so ardorable. How fun to know you are done and just spoil her with girly things!
I am dying laughing that you got your one "l", but for a price, so funny! At least there was a comprimise in the end. If our kid turns out to be a boy, Jake & I will NEVER agree on a name:)

CONGRATS TO BOTH!!!!!!
(& I'm glad you didn't tear this time, Wooohoo!!!)

geez, sorry for my novel, I should have just wrote you an email:)

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!! She is a beautiful newborn! I had to laugh when I saw that tongue. :) Maya came out blowing raspberries. I am glad you will have a normal recovery, too. That's the best us women can hope for, no? The photo in her little (big) hat is my favorite. So happy for you guys!

Maren said...

What a doll! Congratulations and I'm so glad she was born on the
12th. I'm sure Caitlyn is going to be the best helper!

Heather said...

Yeah! She's gorgeous Em. When Caitlyn was late to class I knew something was up. She excitedly told us all about her.

She also told us she "accidently" has been asking Grandma for lots of presents, as she's been staying with her. I got a big laugh out of that one. :)

Congrats Em! Good job & I'm glad you'll be able to enjoy this one without being in too much pain.

Welcome to the world Alison. :)

Briann said...

what a sweet baby, congrats!