Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Great Man


George Standage
A great man left us this afternoon.
My Grandpa Standage was a giant among men. He was a sweet soul who was with us for eight eight years. He served in the Arizona Temple presidency as well as a personal mission and two missions with his wife including Switzerland and Washington D.C. He was a temple sealer who performed sealings up until the final year of his life. He married most if not all of his grandchildren (which is alot!)
He always had a great disposition and a willingness to serve. I will be left with great memories of him, and I am grateful that I have this picture of him with Caitlyn when she was a baby.
Although it can be hard to say goodbye it is always comforting to know that the pain has ended and that he is with family members on the otherside looking over us.
He will be missed

6 comments:

abigail said...

I am so sad to say good-bye! I didn't get to know him very well but I really did love that man!! I'm really gonna miss him!

MaryBeth said...

I'm so sorry your loss right now Emily. Your family will be in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

That photo of grandma and grandpa I remember well. I had just done grandma's hair the day before and she said, "this will be our funeral photo". I laughed because that was 7 years ago. She was right though. I look forward to seeing everyone in few days. I thank Grandpa for putting this reunion together. He is smiling from above!

The Clawson's said...

Emily that was an awesome tribute! Look forward to see everyone on Monday.

Laurie and Mike said...

Hi Emily,
You don't know me but your sweet grandpa Standage is my uncle. So I guess that means we are related. I googled his name to see if I could find out when his funeral was and came up with your blog. I am the daughter of Melba Standage, who is George's sister. I was very sorry to hear about Uncle George passing away. I wish I lived closer and could join with the family and renew aquaintances and be able to celebrate his great life. I know my mother sure loved her older brother. I loved the pictures of him. He will be missed by all. I would love to know what your parents name are so I can place you in the line-up so to speak. Please give everyone my love and a hug for Aunt Garnet just for me. It will be a lonely time for her ahead and I know she will be blessed by having all her children and grandchildren around her during this time.
Love from a cousin in Oregon,
Laurie Russell Evans

Mikelle said...

Oh! I didn't know!
I am glad he gets to "rest" now. Well, I'm sure there is plenty of work for a man of such stature on the other side, but at least he gets to be done with this mortal body:)

He was such a great, sweet man. So patient. I'm sure it's a little bitter sweet to say goodbye.